Thursday, June 23

I am a little monster

a friend of mine, we'll call her Ms. CT, texts me randomly one day that she has an extra ticket to the Lady Gaga concert and would I want to go.  to which I replied, "can a Jew really pass up anything free?" so within a week's time, Ms. CT and I were meeting at her uncle's restaurant for pre-concert drinks and appetizers.  well like any uncle I imagine would do (at least I know mine would) he totally picked up the bill for everything.  it was very, very nice of him.  I even somehow got a free hat for the restaurant out of the deal too!  the food itself was so delicious (don't get me started on the crab cakes), so if you have a chance you should check it out - Statler Grill.
(before the concert started - kinda obvious)
(right as the concert was starting)
(please excuse the bad quality of these pictures as they were taken with my iPhone)

the concert itself was what a concert should be.  it wasn't just "here are a collection of my songs," but instead she told a story.  it was a show, not just a concert.  a performance.  which honestly made it much more exciting to be at rather than a regular concert that is essentially a grown up version of a girl/boy scout sing-a-long.  what also made the concert was the fact that almost everyone dressed up.  honestly, Ms. CT and I felt a little out of place because we weren't dressed up (it was too short of notice to put together the most amazing Gaga costume, especially since I have this tiny detail of work getting in the way).
(one of the stage sets)
(it was the Monster Ball after all - so here's your monster :) )

but the truly amazing part was the huge respect I had for her, as both an artist and a person, after the concert was finished.  she sang every single one of her songs.  no lip-synching whatsoever. and the girl can SING.  she played a few slow numbers on her piano and I didn't know she had that voice in her!!  almost makes you wish she would stop coming out with all of the pop-y songs and sing actual ones that really show off her talent.  or more so that people would be receptive to it enough for it to be played on the radio.  and last, but not least, you could really feel the appreciation she has for her fans (not sure if being in NYC made her more nostalgic).  I've never experienced a concert where the artist had THAT much gratitude for everyone in the audience.
(I know this probably isn't the best video quality, but hopefully you can still hear her singing)

p.s. - turns out the concert I was at was the one they used for her HBO special.  :)

No comments: