Friday, June 24

"free falling"

I'm sure y'all are familiar with Groupon, LivingSocial, Flockmaster, and all of those other "discount" websites.  one day Yelp was having a deal for a High Falls Stunt Class, courtesy of  Hollywood Stunts.  so for shits and giggles, my friend, we'll call her Hollywood, and I signed up.  it turned out to be one of the coolest things I have ever done.

before we were able to do any of the jumps, we had to practice on this small platform first.  they told us, just jump and land completely flat with all of your body parts landing at the same time.  surprisingly not an easy task, since I am pretty sure instinct tells you not to slam your head on anything when you fall.  but in reality (after a few tries) it hurt way less to land like they said - a.k.a. no whiplash.  I was even excited during this practice session because I was the only one who got a "perfect" from the instructor.  :)  (let me gloat a little)

then it was time for the big guns.  the first jump was about 20 feet or so.  when the instructor asked who wanted to go first, I grabbed Hollywood so fast and said we would do it that I don't think she even had time to react.  it wasn't until we were up on the platform, 20 feet above the ground about to jump into a giant air bubble/blob thing that she even registered what was going on.  the instructor was a little flabbergasted because he said that he never had girls literally rush to be first in line (what can I say?  I was really excited to try this :) )
(it's weird for me to be posting an "almost" picture of myself because I semi wanted to remain anonymous on this blog, but there I am.  climbing up the scaffolding so I can jump off it 2 minutes later)

funny thing though - I was absolutely terrified waiting up on the platform to jump.  we were essentially just standing on scaffolding and if you fell off (not in the direction of the bubble/blob) well... it would hurt.  a lot.  as soon as it came time to actually do the free fall we had been taught I didn't have a moment's hesitation.

free falling is A-MAZ-ING.  I've done my fair share of cliff jumping in my life (around the Cornell campus in NY and in Italy), but it was always into water.  so really it was just jumping off a giant diving board (with a few jagged rocks here and there).  this was something else entirely though.  I can't even really describe that feeling of just falling - the moments between when you jump and when you land.  when you feel like you could float in the air forever.

all I can say is that I am definitely ready to go back and sign up for the next level!  :)

No comments: