Thursday, August 5

Brand New New Yorker on Location: DC


My friend and I, we will call her Man-Eater, decided it would be a fun, grown-up thing to attend the official Cherry Blossom Festival Gala Dinner Cruise.

The cruise was actually a lot of fun. sat a table with people we didn't know. and the couple next to us was quite interesting, as the woman couldn't really believe we were at the event. because I guess apparently young girls do not attend galas, but only go to bars and get drunk (her words, not mine). minus that little blip though - the night was great.

the ship was huge, the drinks were free (ok, maybe there was some truth to her assumption...but not really), the food was delicious, and surprisingly the music was pretty good too. it was also a lot of fun to get all dressed up. oh! and not only did we get all the stuff mentioned above, but they also gave each of us an official Cherry Blossom Festival cupcake and pin.
had an enjoyable next two days in the city playing tourist. went to the Capitol building, National Cathedral and the Jefferson Memorial - three places I had never been before. we also made a little stop over at the zoo, where I basically became obsessed with this monkey. seriously, this little guy was so cute!

here are some pictures of the National Cathedral:


we of course also had to go to the Cherry Blossom Festival parade. and I will admit that it was not exactly what I was expecting, but then I cannot really tell you what my expectations were to begin with. we saw a band dressed in Colonial garb, a Mustang car club, Japanese drums, and of course both the U.S. and Japan Cherry Blossom Queen. and quite randomly some floats of the Veggie Tales. they also had floats of giant Japanese lanterns with cherry blossoms painted on them. those make sense, but the Veggie Tales?? quite odd and unexpected if you ask me.

all in all, a fantastic experience that I definitely planning on doing again next year! :)

No comments: