Wednesday, November 6

Brand New New Yorker on Location: Amsterdam

this city can be described in one word...  awesome.

even though it was rainy, overcast, and cold almost the entire week I was there (I did get a few hours of sunshine), the city gave off such fun, positive energy that it really didn't even matter what the weather was.  it's a bit like New York in that everyone is going along at their own pace and in their own little bubble, but it just gives off this aura of being nice.  nice isn't exactly the first word I would use to describe the aura of NYC...

essentially, Amsterdam has charm that seems hard to replicate anywhere else.  in terms of looks it reminds me a lot of Venice (lots of canals, bridges, etc.), but they are much more open about taboo subjects there (Red Light District anyone?) as I tend to think California is, and then yet it has this old city charm that reminds me of Paris.




the architecture there was amazing as well.  not necessarily in terms of ornateness or grandiose size of the buildings, but more in the sense that it was architecture not really seen elsewhere.  and since it is built basically on a lagoon some building are leaning, falling, resting on their neighborhoods that it definitely gives a visual to the idea of a "sinking city."




as far as what I "did" in the city... well it wasn't much.  I went to a museum here, a museum there, but honestly I spent most of my time simply just walking.  it was a nice, sort of leisure vacation (which is not usually, 100% my style).  I didn't worry about waking up early to rush and pack all these things into my day (it helped matters a bit that I was there for a week).  I woke up when I felt like it, slowly made my way to the train station to head into the city (I was staying with a friend in The Hague).  and when I arrived I walked, stopping when I was hungry or wanted to inspect something further, and left for the day when my feet were finally tired.  it was almost as if I was back in NYC, only in a different city (not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me...)



personally, one of the best parts of my trip was developing my photography "skills," so to speak.  normally I just take pictures of things that catch my eye.  but I tried to approach taking my "artistic" photos a little differently this time around.  many famous artists do a series of work - one subject over and over again in either different perspectives, lighting, etc. - so I decided to try it too.  I had so much fun with these photos that they may be some of my favorites of all of my photos.








all in all, I would definitely make a trip back to this charming city.  but maybe where there is a little more sunshine to be had...

No comments: