Saturday, January 15

one should always read the fine print

I've been to the opera once in my life (a high school friend was kind enough to take me when his aunt was able to give him tickets). I absolutely loved it. it was such a beautiful form of art, from the singing, to the costumes, and even just the atmosphere of the theatre. I haven't been since high school, let's just say it's been a few years, so I decided to treat myself and go The Metropolitan Opera here at Lincoln Center. I decided for my first opera back I would pick one that was well known (usually for good reason), so I decided to see The Magic Flute.


once I arrived at the theatre is when I realized that I should have read the fine print on my ticket. actually what should have given everything away was the fact that I was seeing the performance at 11am on a Monday (I was lucky enough to have the day off of work). huge mistake on my part because it turns out that specific performance was geared towards kids. probably the part that upset me the most was that the performance was all in english - huge disappointment. I wanted to not be able to understand any of the words I was hearing. I wanted to have to fight to find the balance of reading the subtitles while simultaneously trying to watch what was going on onstage. don't get my wrong - the signing was great, I could just understand every word. for some reason, that made the performance not seem as powerful. but maybe I'm just crazy. and even though it definitely was not my favorite performance, I'll still go see another one. :)

No comments: